I often get asked this question by homeowners who are having a new home built, “I know I want an in-ground pool, should I have it installed while my home is being built, or wait until after we move in?
The answer is easy. If at all possible have your swimming pool installed while your home is being built! I can think of 5 good reasons right off the top of my head to do this:
- Simple Financing. Figuring out how to finance a new pool is the biggest obstacle most prospective pool owners face. Not many people have $25-$50,ooo laying around burning a whole in their pocket. To get an idea how much a fiberglass pool costs check out this article. The most common source of funds is a home equity loan. Including your new pool in your mortgage will save you the hassle of taking on another loan.
- Save Your Landscaping. During the time your home is being built your property is considered a construction site. Trucks and machinery in and out day after day. Having an in-ground pool installed is similar, but on a smaller scale. Your lawn will get dug up and your plants and shrubs could take a beating depending on where they are in proximity to your pool. To have your pool installed while your yard is nothing but dirt makes perfect sense. Why wait until you might do damage to expensive landscaping?
- Save Your Driveway. Just like your yard hasn’t been landscaped yet, your concrete driveway hasn’t been poured yet. The last thing you want to do is take a chance your brand new driveway cracks under the weight of a cement truck delivering concrete for your pool deck or a crane placing a fiberglass pool in the hole. Another benefit of installing during your build.
- Save On Electrician Costs. There’s a reason the electrician’s are called in to run wiring during the house’s framing process, no drywall or ceilings to deal with makes there job easier. The same goes for the exterior, if the electrician knows a pool is going to be installed he can take steps to make sure that when it’s time to connect the pool equipment all the pieces are in place.
- Move In And Start Swimming. The best reason to install a pool during your home build is to know that when you move into your new home, your new pool will be there ready and waiting for you to enjoy! It doesn’t get any more exciting then that for you and your family!
Home Builder and Pool Builder Working as One
As long as your home builder and your pool builder are on the same page, building both house & pool at the same time should be a seamless process. In most cases the pool installation doesn’t start until about 2/3 of the way through the house build.
It should be timed so that all the exterior work on the house is finished except for the pouring of the driveway and landscaping. This way the pool builder can install the pool without interfering with the house builders schedule.
It’s Your Backyard…Use It, Live It, Love It!